RE: [seul-edu] open textbooks

I am not involved in education and won't pretend to understand the politics
or motivations.  By profession I am a sysadmin for a company that designs
DSP cores for MIPS or ARM SOC's.

That said, as an outsider, and as a taxpayer and hopefully a future parent,
I am very interested in seeing public (and private) schools move into the
21st century with the rest of us to prepare our next generation.  I've been
out of high school now for 8 years, and my memory of the experience is that
the textbooks we used were remarkably old, heavy, littered with errata, and
simply not effective.

As a taxpayer, I feel that they are not cost effective.  The first year that
kids get them, they might be close to up-to-date.  With some subjects the
subject material doesn't really change from year to year.  But how do you
teach geography today with a 10 year old book?  Or computer science?
Biology?  All of these subjects are constantly changing.  By the time a book
hits print, is is already dated material.  The only way to try to keep up
with the latest developments is electronic texts.

This is also important for the teachers.  How can a teacher be expected to
properly prepare students to understand practical applications of computer
science if the text books are 5 years old?

It sounds like you have some idea of how to motivate qualified people to
write.  And it sounds like there is already a home to centrally distribute
these books from.  Combine that with Project Gutenberg and there is already
part of a foundation to build upon.