Re: [seul-edu] Opportunity to make a difference

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 05:56:17AM -0500, Dave Prentice wrote:
> One other thing - I have a bunch of 486s I would like to spread around to
> teachers in my school that have no computers at all. These have RedHat using
> gnome, and work fine in my little classroom LAN. However, each of them will
> need to access the citywide network as a more or less standalone machine.
>     In linux, all the login screen requires is a login name and password.
> However, the school district requires the typical NT configuration of
> username, password, and domain. Is there a way I can customize linux to log
> on in this manner?

If you're using Samba with this, you would set the domain by default, especially
if these are single user boxen. Otherwise, you could set up a perl script in .bashrc
that asks for a domain after they log in then appropriately starts the samba client.

--Nate
"But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to
God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that
diligently seek Him" --The Bible -- Hebrews 11:6

ruberpaw@ptdprolog.net www.rubberpaw.com
Learn Web Design!   www.designharbor.org www.sitepoint.com
Use Free Software!  www.linux.com www.gnu.org www.tuxedo.org/~esr/
Play Open Racer! openracer.worldforge.org
Lancaster PA Linux Users Group!  www.lancaster-linux.org