Re: Major interview

I just want to remind you guys (and gals) that I *AM* running/building a
linux based computer lab in Tucson Arizona.  Some of you might have seen
the slight blurb in linux journal (submited by James Daniels, who helped a
lot in the first incarnation, but is now 120 miles away, I have taken over
full development, etc).

The school is Corbett Elementary School, in Tucson AZ
(www.corbettschool.org).

Linux worked out rather well here.  It took a lot of volunteer time (over
2000 hours and counting), donated computers, and aproximatly $10,000USD
(only $300 was software).  We have plans for another $8K of server
hardware, and a migration to diskless clients (network boot), with an X
application server, and a 94GB (151GB natural) RAID 5 network disk server
(Linux based, running netatalk, NFS, and samba), also included in that is
a switched 10baseT to the desktop solution.

Applications in use:
Debian linux (potato), this is a sharp change from slackware linux
KDE 1.1.1
Xfree86 3.3.4 (Soon to go to .5
wine 081599 (upgraded EVERY time wine is upgraded, even the 15 day upgrade
from 073199 to 081599 gave us a speed boost on wine apps)
StarOffice 5.1
Netscape 4.61
Kedit
Typist
Linux Leters and Numbers
Millies Math House (wine/windows)
Balieys book house (wine/windows)
trudys time and place house (win/windows).

I admit that to start with linux is best on the server side, but it can be
made to work on the desktop as well.  BTW We are talking about K-5th grade
here.

			Harry