Re: Major interview

At 03:26 PM 9/3/99 -0400, Michael Williams wrote [in part]:
>>>  do you need the applications to be free of charge?
>>
>No. I would pay a reasonable price for a functional, easy to learn/use
>application.
>
>>> If not, what kind of price do you think would be reasonable?
>>
>Got me there! Maybe something along the range of say $0.10 to
>$1.00 per seat for a district wide 'license'.

Interesting number. I took a fast look at the www.topologika.com (the site
Roman mentioned in one of his recent postings) and found that they typically
want 50-60 UK pounds (about US$100, right?), or twice the single-copy price,
for a "site" license (which I assume is one school). Given typical school
sizes, this fits nicely into the range you suggested.

So what about it, anyone else on the list who actually buys software for
schools? Would you buy educational Linux apps in this price range or not? (I
won't try to convey a sense of what you're buying; the topologika Web site,
which includes some downloadable demos for Windows, does that better than I
can.) Concrete feedback on the pricing question will do more to encourage
(or discourage, if you say no) commercial developers than more abstract
discussions of philosophy and the needs of schools.
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603    	 	        ray@comarre.com