Re: Major interview

----- Original Message -----
From: Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire@seul.org>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Cc: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: samedi 4 septembre 1999 03:27
Subject: Re: Major interview

> Well, we may also say that the actual development model of edu soft
> companies is not adpated to the GNU/Linux system. Ten years ago people
> might says the same about developping a free kernel like Linux : it's
> not economicly viable! But it's there and runs 30% of the internet.

Linux is only economically viable because it is a very complex system which
requires a great deal of support. It's this support that is paying peoples'
wages. A piece of edsoft. wouldn't and shouldn't need such support if
written properly so therefore doesn't fall into this category.

> Instead, why don't you say why free project will be good for
> education. Here some ideas I drop :
>
> internationalization : if one free application is developped in
> engish, it's no problem to turn it in Croatian. In the other hand, an
> edusoft companies will probably never release Croataion version
> because of non profit. The side effect will be to divide the market
> what is bad for GNU development model.  As an exemple : in some
> eastern Europe countries - sorry I don't remember which one - KDE is
> avalaible in national language but not Win95. Finaly microsoft fill
> the gap but Win98. Microsoft can sell soft with profit but edusoft
> companies can't.

All of the software I've ever written for other problems has had such
ability. I expect that most if not all of topologika's software contains
text files which can be easily edited with a text editor. I'm sure as well
that if you asked them, they'd tell you how to change the data to your own
language. This is the same for other companies I work with. I'm sure that
these language files are freely distributable as well since they aren't part
of the program's executable, gfx, sounds etc. And any sounds of your own
such as localized voice recordings are of course your own to distribute as
you please.

> As a french math teacher, I'm not interested by proprietary soft
> developped in english : it's useless for my school.
>
> Until now the GNU system was used by people who speak english. New
> users come to GNU/Linux - kids - and we have to watch out this problem
> of language. Fortunatly the GNU system adress this problem quite well
> with locale. It's ok developping proprietary application using the GNU
> Gettext system (to internationalized an application) but I'm affraid
> edusoft company will not do so as they will lose market control.

I've never heard anyone in my market speaking of control. And I've always
seen them more than willing to help with such things as localization. Edsoft
companies are not Micro$oft.

Roman.