Introduction

To everyone on the seul-edu list;

My name is Evan Leibovitch. I'm very involved in the Canadian Linux user
community, and I write a column on Linux issues for ZDNet.

The newest responsibility I've taken on is being in charge of evaluating
and recommending educational software for Linux systems, as part of what's
called "the Learnux project".

Learnux is a co-operative venture between the Canadian Linux Users
Exchange (CLUE) and a Toronto-area charity that receives surplus computers
from businesses that are upgrading their systems.

Volunteers taking these computers (right now mainly 486 systems),
breathing new life in them by installing Linux and various applications,
and re-distributing them for about $25 each to schools and inner city
kids. (That's computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse.)

Out of the group, I'm the one charged with determining what, if any,
educational software should go on the boxes. I look forward to
participating on this list to the level I can, but I have far more to
learn here than I have to teach.

(It does look as if, fairly shortly, we're going to have our own
quasi-distribution tailored to the needs of old, slow hardware. For
instance, we've chosen Debian as the base distribution because it allows
for the leanest base install, and for the graphic interface we settled on
"xfce" as the best balance between functionality and
resource-thriftiness.)

In any case, could someone tell me how we could publicize the Learnux
program on the SEUL website? Until learnux.org is working (it's registered
but I haven't set it up yet) there's more information about it at
http://centre.linux.ca

Thanks.

--
evan leibovitch <evan@starnix.com>                            starnix inc.
tollfree: 1-87-pro-linux                         brampton, ontario, canada