Re: SEUL: Re: Are teachers really so unwilling to learn?

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning.  Years ago, I taught an
"intro to microcomputers" course for a ComputerLand store.  I made sure that I
defined every technical term I used (for me, technical meant any term I wouldn't
use in normal conversation with my wife), usually by analogy.  I took them through
the boot up process step by step, explaining things as I went.  By the time we made
it to the screen prompt, they had a basic understanding of most computer terms.  We
later went into more detail about how information is organized on disk drives and
how the video systems work.

For example, I'd say that when you turn a computer on it's like a newborn baby.  It
doesn't know anything about itself or the world around it.  Like a baby, it has
some built-in behaviors.  The first one that operates is when the central
processing unit (CPU), the "brains" of the computer, tries to boot.  "Boot" means
to configure itself to be a useful system.  It comes from the longer term,
"boot-strap loader," which in turn derives from the phrase, "to pull yourself up by
your own boot-straps."  This meant to make something of yourself without outside
help.  That's just what the computer is doing when it "boots."

I won't go on; you can see the approach I was taking.  I hope this helps, Joshua.
If I can free up the time, I'll help on this.  Let us all (seul-pub and seul-edu)
know where you go with this.

--
Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give