Re: Cheap hardware X-terms?

Michael A Hamblin wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Doug Loss wrote:
>
> > Slightly different topic.  Has anyone tried using Linux to convert
> > old Macs into X-terms?

> How old of Macs? If they are LocalTalk without possibility of going
> 10baseT you can get a LocalTalk to ethernet bridge for cheap. If you were
> to buy one, you could easily get one for $100 and I'd feel ripped off :)
> but you only need one for a network, IIRC. I have a friend who got m68k
> kernel to boot on a Mac classic 2, but w/o an ext2 partition for root it
> didn't get far.

I haven't seen them yet, but I hope they all have ethernet installed.
I also hope they're all at least 68030s.  I understand that some
Macs are really difficult to get Linux on due to the lack of an MMU.
I don't really know if I'll get to do this, but it's an interesting
idea.  If nothing else, maybe I can get them to give them to me to
experiment with if they don't want to do this (or anything else)
with them.

--
Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@csrlink.net    those in authority off their guard and give