Does Windows work? was: What Do Teachers need to teach?

> things you people claim it gives us. But Windows works now!!!!!!   I can set
> it all up and get it working and my stafff can do things with it right
> now!!!!  This is the standard people expoect.  . . . for my staff computers

Hey, that's terrific.  I'm so happy Windows works for you.  But it DOESN'T work
for me.

Of course, I'm in a different boat than you are.  We have very little money to
spend on technology.  My principal(s) has decided that it is more important to
use any extra money that comes into our school on personel not computers.

So when computers do come to our building, they are usually without software.
Despise the fact that the companies want to keep their software investment when
they ditch their hardware, often the computers contained sensitive data.

I can't afford $160 a donated computer for Windows, nor can I afford the
application software I have to purchase for it.  If I do spend the $160, I
really only get the Internet, no other software (well, now that Star Office has
generously been given to everyone by Sun, that's another story).

Plus, Windows crashes generally just when I'm in the middle of something
important, and I don't always get everything I asked Internet Explorer for.

So Windows DOESN'T work for me, though Linux does.