Re: Nov. meeting with Squeak team--call for discussion

Scott Raney wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
> > Of course, I'd welcome any other sorts of advice as well.
>
> 1) Browse the HyperStudio WWW site and download a demo of it from
>    http://www.rwp.com/  It doesn't run on Linux, but it's the dominant
>    product in this area.  You should probably look at one or more of
>    the Logo products (e.g., http://www.microworlds.com/)
> 2) Download a copy of the MetaCard Starter Kit and the MetaTalk
>    Programmer package from the MetaCard WWW site
>    http://www.metacard.com/  The current UI doesn't look like
>    HyperStudio, but one that does could be constructed very easily.

Both of these are good ideas.  I don't think we should anoint a winner
or preferred solution for this software niche on Linux.  Squeak has
quite a bit of long-term potential, and I'm glad we're looking into it.
MetaCard looks nicely functional now, and Scott and the MetaCard team
seem interested in being supportive of the educational community.  Don't
expect them to open source their product; but their idea of making the
starter kit available for free (do I remember that correctly?) to
educational facilities seems like a good gesture of support.  I think we
should all look at MetaCard (I'll look again--I downloaded it early this
year).