Re: Nov. meeting with Squeak team--call for discussion

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> I've only seen the couple of comments that appeared early on here on the
> list. Except for one small clarification I received privately, I've seen
> nothing that everyone else hasn't also seen.
>
> Probably next week, I'm going to start actually working with Squeak myself
> (seems like a useful thing to do before the meeting, no?). After I've used
> it a bit, I'll feel better able to pose more specific questions to the list.
> For now, the best I can suggest is that anyone with actual experience using
> it for something -- education-related or otherwise -- offer suggestions
> about how it might be adapted for better use in schools ... probably in any
> of these three areas:
>
>         1. As a tool for teachers to develop applications that students
>                 will use.
>
>         2. As a tool for students to develop applications that embody
>                 the non-computer skills they are learning (I suppose
>                 this is what everybody means by "authoring").
>
>         3. As a tool to teach computer programming.
>
> Of course, I'd welcome any other sorts of advice as well.

1) Browse the HyperStudio WWW site and download a demo of it from
   http://www.rwp.com/  It doesn't run on Linux, but it's the dominant
   product in this area.  You should probably look at one or more of
   the Logo products (e.g., http://www.microworlds.com/)
2) Download a copy of the MetaCard Starter Kit and the MetaTalk
   Programmer package from the MetaCard WWW site
   http://www.metacard.com/  The current UI doesn't look like
   HyperStudio, but one that does could be constructed very easily (a
   miniscule fraction of what would be required to do the same with
   Squeak).  And it runs on Linux now, could be used to build and
   distribute a freeware HyperStudio-like product, and even the full
   version of which is less expensive than HyperStudio.
  Regards,
    Scott

Scott Raney  raney@metacard.com  http://www.metacard.com