Re: [seul-edu] Our presence at trade shows

Doug Loss wrote:

> Ray said something a while ago I wanted to get some discussion on.
> He mentioned that going to Linux trade shows was all well and good,
> but the people we need to talk to include teachers and educational
> administrators who we won't likely see at such shows.  That's a very
> good point.  Since we have fairly limited resources for attending
> shows, can any of you alert us to conferences on "technology in
> education" or something similar that we should attend?  We probably
> ought to try to do some outreach in this direction, I think.

From another part of Taipei........

It would seem to me that the group should find a school which is
interested in working with SEUL and make that a model school.
Personally, I would probably not place too much hope after seeing a
trade show. Much of the free software group seems to have an "I've got
mine attitude" At least that is how it comes across in Taiwan. I am
still trying to set up more of a Linux program at school. This year the
students did some work on HTML and a little Linux. This was only because
I am the owner and told the teacher and computer assistant they would do
it or they wouldn't get paid. If I went the microsoft route I would have
a much easier time finding people who want to teach computers. I have 5
boxes of software from various companies that were given to me for free.
For now, it is still not easy to go the free software route.
Problems....

1) Getting help. This group is helpful. Many are downright rude to a
teacher who is trying to figure out linux every night at 1 in the
morning.

2) Finding people who can teach on Linux boxes. Those teachers who have
come and know something of how to teach Microsoft products have a
million excuses as to why it is a bad idea to teach Linux. Those who
know Linux seem to require more pay than we can afford.

3) A model school. Our school is unlike any other school. School
administrators, teachers, parents, etc all tell me our school cannot
work. When you have a school open and running you just point to the
school and say take a look yourself.

4) Finding out what teachers want. Not teachers who teach computers.
Grade books, make up spelling test programs, all these little things.
Some teachers, like myself, don't like any adventure/education type
stuff. Anyhow, those programs are more suitable for home use than a
classroom.

5) How about e-books...We teachers have been modifying and playing with
classic books for sometime. This may be a way to explain the free
software movement as well.