From: Bill Ries-Knight <brk@slip.net>
To: seul-edu@seul.org <seul-edu@seul.org>
Date: Saturday, September 02, 2000 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: (FWD) Re: Fw: RE: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management

Kevin Raybould wrote:

SNIP ******

>   Yes, eventually, having a complete suite of educational tools (maybe
even
> a full distro?) tools to offer would encourage institutions to use Linux
> wholesale.  However, I believe that will be a long process (not the least
of
> which due to the fact that we will need to convince teachers as a class
that
> Linux will make their classrooms better), and in the meantime, we would be
> remiss in not trying to bring about an improvement in the current
situation.

Ok , This is a nice notion....I know we currently have a good list going,
and
there are more itms coming to light regularly.  As a school person, what are
the bits of software that you need to make a school work?  In the classroom,
what software do you need at what grade/age level?  I will compile a list
from
here and other sources, and see what is ready or nearly ready (beta testing)
for real world use.  If we can show a comprehensive listing of resouces in
an
"Adminiustrators Guide to Linux in the Classroom" (hello to Jeff Knox) type
of
document, I think we would be moving in the right direction to showing real
solutions.  We already know we can network and setup Xterms, but it is my
opinion that we need to show how that fits in a more complete solution.

My 2 bits.

Bill