Re: [seul-edu] Re: HELP!

Hello Grant,

First thanks for your efforts with the Printing Howto :)

Next, a "bug" has been discovered in the remote printing section.  I
have version 4.5 from stable debian (2.2 aka Potato).  Is it an old
version that's been fixed or is this a real bug?

I saw nothing about remote with non-old LPDs, however I assume the below
shows the difficulty run into by Mr. Prentice [his message is below].

"10.6 Running an if for remote printers with old LPDs

   One oddity of older version of lpd is that the if is not run for
   remote printers. (Version after 0.43 or so have the change originated
   on FreeBSD such that the if is always run). If you find that you need
   to run an if for a remote printer, and it isn't working with your
lpr,
   you can do so by setting up a double queue and requeueing the job. As
   an example, consider this printcap:

lj-5:\
        :lp=/dev/null:sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj-5:\
        :if=/usr/lib/lpd/filter-lj-5:
lj-5-remote:lp=/dev/null:sh:rm=printer.name.com:\
        :rp=raw:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj-5-raw:

   in light of this filter-lj-5 script:

"

the lp sections should not read lp=/dev/null, unless there is a remote
printer queue named /dev/null [highly unlikely] on the remote print
server, or this is some special trick that doesn't work for newer lpd's?!

I've always used the man page personally and never noticed this snag.

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org

PS, SEUL-EDU is a list for the SEUL.ORG [Simple End User Linux] Education
mailing list, I'm not sure if it's open or closed, so please send your
reponse, if any, directly to myself or Mr. Prentice below.  Thanks.