[seul-edu] Help: Samba/Windows Advice needed

Hello,

We have been adding clients like crazy to our network and now we are trying to
do several complicated tricks, but I would be happy with even a simple
solution.  I have a NT server (maybe soon Windows 2000 server) doing Domain
service.  I also have around 10 - 15 teacher workstations (using NT and Win2000
-- sorry, but there is resistance to move to Linux Workstations).  In anycase, I
don't want to create logons on all Windows workstations.  I assume that the
samba feature of Netlogons is what I need to do.

Can someone tell me how to get this working?  Is there a good description of
this so that I can configure the users mapped network drive and "My Documents"
once and it is valid from all computers that they could log onto?  Do I have to
make the computer somehow log onto the the Domain server first?

If needed I can move the file service to the windows box, but I don't want
because I have not successfully been able to get the Macintosh services running
properly on the Windows server, netatalk is working great for the macs.

It might be important to know that one service -- the school database (rediker's
admin plus) needs to be on a mapped network drive, or it won't work -- I guess
because it is dos based.  I have tried using a simple logon for the workstation
to connect to that drive and a seperate logon to the Samba server, at the moment
I am having difficulty getting the Windows 2000 workstations to logonto the
Samba server, but that may be because I am not using Samba 2.0.7 -- but I
hesitate to upgrade since my NT 4.0 clients are not having a problem.

Integrating all these various platforms with a linux server seems to be tricker
than I had imagined.  Should I just punt and move all the services to Windows
2000 server and hope for the best?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Bill

PS -- I know that some of this is Windows related and not linux, but I need to
get the 2 of them working together.  Or even how to get the same effect with
just a windows server.

This mail sent through IMP: mail.tasis.ch