Re: [seul-edu] Introducing Self, info request

Hi Karsten

My name is Mike Norton, I am the administrator and all around tech
guy for a public charter school in Magalia CA.  We are in the mountains
above Chico.

At the moment we have a small lab of 8 computers.  We are in a temp
building and about to move into our new facility where we will have
a 16 station lab and computers all over the place.

I am in the proccess of going all GNU/Linux in our labs.  I just
found the K12LTPS project.  Im going to give it a try.

I would love some tips as I am still new to linux, 5 years or so.
But that has not been solid.  Back and forth, back and forth.

I am also developing a Student Information System for our charter
to keep track of student records using PHP and MySQL.  I have placed
the project at sourceforge.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/blueboysis/

Well thats it for now.  Glad to hear from someone in the same part
of the world as me.

Mike Norton
Sierra Pines Academy
http://www.sierrapinesacademy.org

At Wednesday, 5 September 2001, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.
com> wrote:

>After dancing around the edges of this group for a few years, I've
>subscribed to seul-edu.  So a 'hi' to Doug and others out there.
>
>I'm a GNU/Linux user/nut in the SF Bay Area, long-time Unix user (14+
>years), coming on five years of GNU/Linux use, currently Debian.
>There's more background at my website and resume, both linked in
my sig,
>or try Google, it tells all ;-).
>
>I've been drifting toward doing GNU/Linux-related work for schools
for a
>few years, have actually been helping put stuff together in the form of
>user labs in some local high schools this summer.  I've read Suzlik's
>LWE presentation and would like to help organize/participate in a more
>concentrated effort.  I've also been in contact with several people
>working on similar projects elsewhere.
>
>Immediate interest is networking with people and groups that would be
>actively engaged in promoting GNU/Linux in northern California schools.
>HW vendors, distros (though I've got a strong Debian bias), educational
>and grant organizations, teachers, schools, etc.  I'd like to play both
>an organizational and technical role in these activities.
>
>Cheers.
>
>--
>Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.
netcom.com/
> What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?             There
is no K5 cabal
>  http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/               http://www.
kuro5hin.org
>   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!    http://www.freesklyarov.