Re: docutg: GROUP.lounge

* Doug Loss (dloss@suscom.net) [000105]:%y15Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 03:04:30PM +0000]:
> GROUP.lounge is a tool for collaborations over the world wide web.
>
> It enables a group of people to effectively work over the internet on
> documents. It enables you to share documents, notes, etc. with people all over the world.

Hmm... I like the idea, but probably (haven't taken a look at the
software) it isn't all that good if you consider that most of the folk
are behind modems. Anything that can't be worked on offline is quite
tiresome. (Especially with my working patterns, sometime I work in the
morning and relax in the evening and sometimes it's vise versa.)

> It was developed primary for reducing the piles of paper on my desk and to
> organise information more easily.

I have only one pile on mine, a notepad...

> -----
>
> I was wondering if this is something we should look into for our documentation
> work?  Also, should I announce this on SEUL/edu generally?  Give me some
> opinions.

Could be of use, especially if folks need collaboration software. As
the doc project goes forward, there might be more of a need if people
start working on ideas and such collaboratively, when people just
write their own parts there isn't a real need for it. There is also
the problem of how to work with authoring SGML in tools that don't
support it. That is, I like syntax highlighting and all of that and am
not willing to work on a system that doesn't support it.

So what I say is, usable for some, limited application in the
documentation project but not really usable while documenting per se.

(BTW, does it really support something that an FTP server and IRC/chat
wouldn't support?)

ramin

P.S. I hate to sound unenthusiastic, but I've seen too many
collaborative apps that didn't really offer anything new, of course
they've all been commercial packages that cost an arm and a leg and
not something that itches someones itch ;)
--
Ramin Miraftabi                         Student of Computer Science
email: ramin@cs.joensuu.fi              University of Joensuu

    - GPG public key ID 49C9CFF7 -- (c) Copyright 2000 -