Re: Comments please

George Bonser wrote:

> Have a look at a document that I have been working on at:

Comments:

I don't think a description of Debians package tool fit's in context of
the document.  Not to mention that the SEUL package tool hasn't been
decided yet, that I know of.  Anybody who's tried Debian and gave up
because they couldn't get past the depends trouble during install is
going to cringe away from SEUL.

I don't agree on the package upgrading you've outlined.  I don't think
we should remain connected at the hip with Debian once we have SEUL
going.  It should take it's own road.

The SEUL -> Debian, Debian -> SEUL, Debian <- SEUL, will be more trouble
than it's worth.  It will make us look like we are a Debian package.  It
means we would only need to be a diff outlet for Debian users.  We
should just build our own packages and have that be that.

The "NO BINARIES" is a problem also.  Many of us have been qouted as
saying "let's not try to reinvent the wheel".  Along those same lines I
see no reason to obtain the source for a package I might get in binary
form and configure for SEUL's file system, look and feel.  I should be
able to do this, package it and send it to the archives.  I shouldn't
have to get the source, modify the Makefiles and possibly the source
itself so that it's in the condition to compile and install when all I
wanted to do was add a shell, dialog, or newt script etc. to it.

Besides that, who among us is going to want to compile and install every
package to make sure it's working in finished form before packaging it
in binary for release?

In keeping with the GPL, I would agree that the original source has to
be included with the package, but not as the package.  That just closes
the doors for users that can't modify code that want to maintain a
specific package for SEUL.  I really don't know for sure, but I would
find it hard to believe that Debian requires this either.

That's my 2 cents worth on the doc.  Other than that I was impressed at
it's professional approach.

--
Out here,

Rick Jones