Re: A Case Study

George Bonser wrote:

> To that extent, it will be possible for a Debian user to install a SEUL
> package or a SEUL user to install a Debian package since they will share a
> packaging format and as long as the dependancies are met, the package
> should perform as expected.

I know that we are talking about the alpha stages here, but should we
advertise that we are using the Debian package format at this stage?
It's one thing to use it in the interim and another all together to
announce to the Linux community that we are going to use it.  We can
always change the extention to ".sul" instead of ".deb" to make a
destinction and hide the handler until we know what's best for the core.

I don't recall this decision being made.  Last thing I heard from Omega
was that we want, ultimately, to put the package handling internals in
the Linux core, and we should use package handler methodology that is
likely to be widely accepted by other distro's.  Given that the other
distro's are not changing to Debian's format, I would think there's a
reason for it.  Has anybody found out why?

--
Out here,

Rick Jones
rickya@siservices.net