Musings

Some notes:

Intel has committed its next generation CPU to Sun.

Transmeta (the company that hired Linus) is hiring hardware engineers AND
linux folks in the Silicon Valley.  It is founded by two important people.
One founder is a co-founder of Sun, the other is a co-founder of
Microsoft.

I do not know what TM is doing, they want you to sign a non-disclosure
agreement even if you interview with them, but I suspect it is, as we say
in Silicon Valley, "the next thing".

What I am trying to alert you to is that there might be a new kid on the
way and this new kid might be something that blows both Microsoft AND Sun
off the business desktop.

What this means to Linux in general and SEUL in particular is that we
MIGHT be facing a <$1000 unix that is user-friendly rather than a >$10,000
unix or klunky windows system.  A $3000 Solaris Ultra is enough to keep us
out of a good portion of the business market now. A $1000 desktop that
actually works might be worse.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org

===