Re: Rotating leadership

> From: Roger Dingledine <arma@mit.edu>
> cc: seul-leaders@seul.org
> Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 03:37:45 EST
>
> In message <19980304215230.2707.qmail@sidney.remcomp.fr>, jfm2@club-internet.fr writes:
> >I have clear ideas: SEUL is going in the wrong direction.  Of course
> >Earth is round... And about will of power I intend than in
> >Independence the project leader (me) mandate be three months only.
> >After that we will have something like elections.  I have to find a
> >formula but one thing is clear in my mind: no life long leadership.
> >
> >--
> >			Jean Francois Martinez
>
> A very interesting idea. One thing we've had the biggest problem here is
> with finding good people to be project leaders. If more people came along
> that seemed "suitable", then we'd love to take them on as project leaders.
> If they were better than us, then we'd probably even let them lead. (*)
>
> Problem one: if we have mandatory "I step down after three months" rules,
> then (in most cases) we'd end up with inferior, or at least inexperienced,
> leadership. If a better leader had been around, he should have jumped in
> earlier. In either case, it's really useful to have the old leaders around,
> to guide/etc.

It will be no mndatory "I step down".  It will be mandatory "try to
elect the best".  At one point evolution of the project (the best
leader in design phase can be less fit in programming phase), change
of size, a newcomer being really good or decline of the leader can
dictate a change of command.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

The worthy man is the one who would drink muddy water if such were the
water of truth.

===
===