Re: SEUL: Text editors.

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> > Most X Based editors are OK.  Nedit could be a default editor ( the one
> > that pops up when you double click on a file that may be text )
>
> Nope. This is motif based. Unless you're willing to put non-free stuff in
> the base. It's non-freeness is why Debian and RedHat don't ship it in the
> main distros. Read my other post for info about X editors.
>
> > I CAN'T use pico.  I have tried.  it just doesn't suite me very well.
>
> This one's very easy, especially if you've pine before (which just about
> every college kid has for starters...)

Opps .. I never tried it so I don't know.  Like I said .. Most X editors
work well enough for me.  ( I don't have Motif and won't buy it )

> > imitated it.  MSDOS edit.com is like it too.  What I am getting at here
> > is that this may be the only app the SEUL needs to write from scratch.
> > a text editor with basic functionality.
>
> > Specifically an edit.com lookalike.  SEUL won't be so S without it.
>
> might be worth it. Still, most windows users haven't used edit.com either,
> so the only thing going for it is the faint similarity to other windows
> apps in its conventions.

Good point.  And my main REASON for recommending edit.com,
I don't know if I have told this story on this list before but...
I provide Tech support to Windows users.  Many of who have never seen a
CL before.  A common occurrence ( 3 or 5 times to people who call me )
is to install MacaFee 95, and then be enable to start Windows.
It turns out Macafee put's a line in the Aoutoexec.bat that stops some
PCs from booting ( It's been fixed ).
My instructions to these users ?
1 : Press the reset button to restart the machine ( Win95 users KNOW
  this ;)
2 : Press 'F8' when you see the "grid with all the writing in it"
3 : When you get that little menu just select the second to last item
   'safe mode DOS only'
4 : type "edit autoexec.bat"
5 : Look for the line that has the word 'macafee' in it or something
like
  that.
6 : go to the beginning of that line and type 'rem' ... R-E-M
7 : Save and exit.
8 : Reboot and I'll come by your place to "finish fixing it" later.
All this without ever explaining to the user how to operate edit.com

> Another angle to investigate is looking at something like jed or pico and
> seeing how feasible it is to "morph" it to an edit.com clone.

This may be feasible.  I am not a programer ( by any means ) and have no
way of knowing if this is workable.

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."