Re: SEUL: PPP and scripting

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> > PPP
> >       One version of debian had two scripts pon and poff
> > They make going on the net easy.
> >
> > The standard debian install scripts ask for address and all of that.
> >

> About ppp : the concern that  you need to start ppp as root for the most
> part, you can't do it from a shell window , and yopu can't do it by
> clicking a button on a menu.
>
> There's a couple of things that could be done about this :
>
> (a)     give group permissions to allow selected users to start ppp
> (b)     IMO better: there's something somebody mentioned called diald
> which fires up the internet connection whenever it's needed.
>
> In any case, we need a way for non-root users to be able to start ppp
> (directly or indirectly).
>
> -- DonovAN

KPPP Did something like this.  It asks you to change the default
settings
of a few files ( /sbin/pppd & /etc/resolv.conf ) then once it's set up
the ordinary user can start PPP.
In a SEUL setup these settings ( write access to /etc/resolv.conf and
execute access to /sbin/pppd for users could be the default ).
BTW : I have herd KDE isn't free enogh for SEUL so won't bother
suggesting
KPPP ... except to say look at it for design tips.
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."