Re: SEUL: Stopping X

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
> The Thought Assassin wrote:
> The point was that they wanted XDM for it's GUI only login.
No, that is only one point of XDM. There are a lot of other reasons.
Not having to restart X, preventing people from dropping back to text mode
and panicking (unless they need to:), avoiding another failure-point
(SVGAlib) and a number of other reasons.

> If you read the rest you would get my intention about dressing up the console
> to look Xish ( it being fony wouldn't mater since you can't do anything
> until you log in )
> > This seems like a lot of trouble to go to for exactly the same effect

Hmmm, look, you conveniently put this statement right before the reply i
had already written to it.

> A lot of trouble ? ... adding 1 line to a script ?
No, the trouble of creating a complicated new way of logging in, and all
of the workaround you will require to make it work. XDM is already
written, and is, IMHO, the most elegant solution you are likely to find or
create.

> ( startex only works when X is down )
??? you can run startx whenever. you can't run two Xs on the same VC, but
you can run as many copies of startx as you like (that is to say, there is
a limit, but you wouldn't like to try to reach it)

> > If I have missed some obvious benefit of all this, then will someone
> > please explain it to me really slowly in words of one or two syllables? :)
> WE WILL NOT HAVE THE LOOP OF DEATH.

A problem which has already been solved. If you merely define the problem
properly, you ought immediately see that it doesn't really exist.
The loop of death is not inherent in XDM - I challenge anyone to prove
that it is - they will probably see the flaw in their reasoning as they
write....

<.vcoolsig snipped>

-Greg Bastow("Don't feeding the freezing flame,
             The wider the damage, the deeper the vein,
             Supply and demand is the name of the game,
             It don't feel the same"
             -MoLG: Richest Junkie Still Alive)