Re: SEUL: Stopping X

The Thought Assassin wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
> > The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > The point was that they wanted XDM for it's GUI only login.
> No, that is only one point of XDM. There are a lot of other reasons.
> Not having to restart X, preventing people from dropping back to text mode
> and panicking (unless they need to:), avoiding another failure-point
> (SVGAlib) and a number of other reasons.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do XDM and SVGAlib affect each other ?
A URL for the relevant doc would be nice :)
Is it that SVGAlib programs won't work on a system with XDM ?

> > ( startex only works when X is down )
> ??? you can run startx whenever. you can't run two Xs on the same VC, but
> you can run as many copies of startx as you like (that is to say, there is
> a limit, but you wouldn't like to try to reach it)

It just won't do anything but display a text message and halt.
Not that this maters since the loop-o-death is gone :)

> The loop of death is not inherent in XDM - I challenge anyone to prove

OK .. it has bean vanquished.  cool.
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."