Re: SEUL: Free Enough?

David Freeman wrote:
  This message looks like a pool of gasoline, so I will try to say my
piece before the match falls.

> I know I am just kicking a dead horse horse here,

You probably are :)

> 1) SEUL is not the FSF or Debian.

??? I was under the impresion that they are tied somehow.

> 3) Does a new user really care?  More likely than not they won't give a
> damn about source code.  We will, of course, educate them about free
> software, and if they want to hack around in source code, the time has
> come to get Debian or Red Hat.

This is as good a point as any to stoop down and humbly accept KDE
until TKDesk, GTK or whatever else is ready for prime time.  KDE is
right
now obviously close to going gold.  It's remaining problems are simply
about implementing a few things that were in the original design
( clicking on a 'mailto:*@*.org' URL to send mail for instance ) and
Stability of 1 or 2 key apps ( KFM can crash under certain conditions ).
The reasons for keeping it out are Political and of no concern to out
are simply political.  I seriously wonder whether SEUL is the place for
such a stance.  My own view;
We should be free to use whatever tools come around that we can sell,
and give away to anyone.  As long as the license doesn't allow for the
programer to send the "software police" to SEUs Home or Office and
take his equipment.

> An application need not be 100% free to be 'free enough' for SEUL.

This is also my view.  HOWEVER;  The law has been laid down by
the various leaders, the SEUL will be SEUD ( Simple, End User Debian ).
We must either work within those rules or form SEULAAC ( SEUL At Any
Cost ).
I have chosen to stay and work within those Limits because I don't
think anyone will rally around a Distribution; conceived and led by
me.
Now ... if we could get Netscape to do a fully commercial Linux
distribution ... :)
> --
> "Win32 sucks so hard it could pull matter out of a Black Hole."

I shuldn't reply to a sig ... but this is just false.  Win32 excels at
nothing ... not eaven being Bad ( Win 16 was worse :)
--
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."