SEUL: Interest abounding...

There has been quite a bit of interest in the SEUL project since yesterday's
announcement.  Many people have expressed dismay, unfortunately, over the
existence of Yet Another Distribution.

I have been talking with Bruce Perens recently, and we have been discussing
the relationships between Debian, the RHAD, and ourselves.  I hope to have
something worked out in the very near future, so I can tell you what is
actually happening.

The basic idea is for all existing groups to collaborate and create a single
core distribution, upon which all distributions could theoretically be
based.  It could be called (if you wish), the "official Linux core".  It
would consist of a stable set of core utilities, libraries, and basic
programs, and would be versioned as a single block.

This would allow distributions to free themselves from worrying about the
stability of the base, and it would allow package maintainers to configure
and compile their package *once*, for a single core, and be done with it.

I am still thinking about this quite a bit, so all comments and
*constructive* criticisms are welcome.

TTYAL,
     Omega

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user