Re: SEUL: Distribution of applications

> I was under the impression he intended loading or unloading code that
> would otherwise be #defined in or out.
Precisely.  The older kernels were configured via #defines, and the code for
that particular driver (or more specifically the line in the space file) was
simply #ifdef'd out.

You can now link a binary against libdl, and loading module code is almost
trivial.  Simply open the file, seek for the appropriate symbol (function
name), retrieve a pointer, and use it.  Granted, splitting out the driver or
other code along a nice straight line and gluing back together again can be
messy, but applications like PostgreSQL already do that when they allow any
combination of a dozen database *modules*.  They just aren't dynamic.

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user