Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ?

Chris Barker wrote:

> Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> > At a certain point, e-Linux and SEUL will start going their own ways, given
> > that e-Linux intends to use KDE (I still don't understand why).
>
> Because it's there! Of everything I've seen, and I scan the web
> regularly, it absolutely the best and most complete desktop available.
> It's actually usable NOW. GNOME has a long way to go, but I hope it gets
> there, and e-linux may switch over when it's done. If e-linux and SEUL
> use the same basic distibution, the two could merge easily in the
> future.

I was involved in the KDE project, to a small extent, when it first
started and have checked on it since and it's not the best out there.  I
use Afterstep myself and have used it since before I first found KDE.  I
have the current version installed right now and, although better, it's
still too unstable for me to bother using.  If you use kfm to navigate
your directory tree (vis' snauser, iconic mode) it will die on you and
take all the desktop icons with it since they are one in the same
(basically).  You can't restart it without logging out and back in,
least I couldn't find a way to do it, and you can't start any other k*
programs without it (must lock the QT lib's or something).

As far as complete.  Any of the window managers could package apps with
them with modified widgets or something and call them part of the
package.  They are just existing apps, for the most part, modified to
use the QT lib's.  This also means that e-linux and SEUL will *not* be
able to merge in the futer since most, if not all, e-linux's apps will
be based n the QT lib's.  I think it's rediculous to base an entire
environment/dis' on on a single set of widgets/lib's, non-free to boot.
Next year they decide to change the license and it's all over.
Unuseable.  What then?  Buy the QT package?  Could this be their
alterior motive to start with?