SEUL: Some suggestions

Apologies if any of this has been covered previously.  These are some
suggestions for the project:

* use supermount
	unfortunately the last supermount patch I know of is for 2.0.23.
        Any kernel hackers out there?
* Drag n' Drop
        The procedure for patching programs to provide DnD is outlined on
        the DnD homepage.  Unfortunately, even this little bit of X
        programming eludes me at present.

        http://leb.net/~offix/

* put FIPS in the install

* don't reinvent the wheel -- take advantage of the GPL'ed work already
  done by the Redhat and Debian folks.  Other interesting projects: the
  Dotfile Generator, linuxconf, exode.

        http://www.imada.ou.dk/~blackie/dotfile/
	http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/
        http://www.simplicity.net/exode/

  See http://www.kernel-panic.com/user_files/dmcook/desktop.html for more
  links.

* Afterstep has a graphical configuration tool called ascp

        ftp://afterstep.foo.net/pub/AfterStep/apps/ascp/

The major problems I see newbies having are

* the FIPS and fdisk steps of the install.  The rest of the install is
  comparatively easy.  Being dropped into fdisk is probably very
  intimidating for newbies.

* ppp & X of course.  Here things like pppsetup, netcfg, Xconfigurator and
  XF86Setup are handy.  Xconfigurator is especially nice in that it will
  allow you to choose only one video mode, avoiding the ole "desktop way
  too big" problem.

* The ole "." not in the path problem.  This brings up the subject of
  security.  If compromises have to be made in security, I think it should
  be made very clear up front the the distribution is not intended to be
  the most secure.

* configuration of complicated things like sendmail.  I like what Debian
  has done with smail, providing configurations for the most likely setups
  for the average user.  I would prefer a curses interface, but the basic
  idea of providing common configuration options is a good model.

Dave Cook