Re: SEUL: New Test

nope, seul-project didn't move to irc as far as i can tell...
the mailing list has just been quiet. :)

however, the group leaders have been working away on getting various
things setup over the past few weeks, and we're about ready to send
out info on what's going on.

as for irc:
 nope, it's not the best communication medium, but we will need
something that can be used among smaller groups for real-time communication,
so it's good to bring this up.  i'm interested in hearing of alternatives.
so, if any of the irc critics out there have one in mind, please name it.
suggested media should be realtime, loggable, and accessible to most everyone
on this list (people with [mainly ppp] net connections, probably running
linux, and not running the latest netscape betas).
 as for large-scale discussions, i we'll be sticking to mailing lists. :)

re: schools
 that was actually mentioned way back when, but not followed up on.
i personally think it's a good group to target, though it will have special
difficulties, such as the ones already mentioned, along with the fact that
microsoft/macintosh have something of a stranglehold on schools at the moment,
which will make it even more difficult to move them away from their old
software base.
 my response to this is to note it as a valid target group, and come back to
it later.  we are already planning on creating a system that is generally
usable for the types of applications that schools would need (word processing,
other standard apps, and basic database capabilities), so schools will follow
naturally as a target group once those products are actually ready.
 for now, we need to stick to actually building products usable for general
purposes, and capable of porting over data from other systems.  once seul
is well under way, however, i will strongly support anyone who wishes to
lead an effort at getting seul into schools.
 and btw, there are definitely a lot of schools that will be conservative
and resistant to changing over to linux, but i can name several i've
seen that will gladly accept seul once it is a functional system.  and as
long as some accept it, i say let the others take their time.  they'll
catch up at their own pace, because that's the way they do things. :)

-luka