Re: SEUL: Package managers

Randy Heineke writes:
> ...after installing, the old Tcl/Tk was gone.  The rub came when some of
> the old applications would not work without the old Tcl/Tk.  I don't know
> why the new Tcl/Tk was not more compatible.

That is a major problem with Tcl/Tk: the authors evidently see no reason to
maintain any backward compatibility.  Debian handles this by supporting
multiple versions of the libraries.

> It does highlight a big challange to the open development model.

It highlights a reason not to use Tcl/Tk.

> How do you squeeze in time for a vacation without your system becoming
> obsolete?

By using a well designed and well managed distribution where someone has
given some thought to these problems.
jghasler@win.bright.net    Do with it what you will.