Re: SEUL: Observatons

   From: jghasler@win.bright.net
   Date: 24 Jun 1997 10:12:22 -0500

   > Will it be a complete distribution or just a (bunch of) program(s) for
   > easier installation

   I suggest that it be a sort of a "front end" for an existing distribution:
   an install that gets Linux up and sets up a default GUI, and perhaps some
   administration tools.  Debian offers CDROM images on its site.  We could
   mirror that and link in our stuff.  This would allow a Seul user to upgrade
   or install packages from a Debian CD or site.  Perhaps something similar
   could be done with Red Hat.

I agree about the front end idea.  RedHat makes available the entire
distribution on their mirror sites so rpm -U url-name will upgrade the

   > Will SEUL start from DOS or LINUX

   I would like to see it start from Freedos.  That would require more
   programming, though.

What benefit in starting from a DOS the user has to install?  I could
understand he starts from an OS already installed in his HD but not
from something he has to build a boot floppy.  If he needs to build a
floppy then let be a LINUX floppy.

   > What programming language will SEUL be written in (Perl, Tcl/TK, BASH, C,
   > C++ or a combination of all of them)

   The initial install stuff must be in C to keep the size down.  I would
   prefer Perl for the rest.

TCL/Tk must be ruled out.  This will not be an X install so best
choose a more conventional language.  Notice than you can get a lot of
power in little space if you use shell scripts and one of the light
weight SH clones like ash.

Simple End User Linux Mailing list
with the line
unsubscribe seul-project