Re: SEUL: Observatons

On 24 Jun 1997 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> What benefit in starting from a DOS the user has to install?  I could
> understand he starts from an OS already installed in his HD but not
> from something he has to build a boot floppy.  If he needs to build a
> floppy then let be a LINUX floppy.

Why not just have the image on CD/HD/whatever, and *load it into memory*?
It's not a radical new idea, loadlin does it (almost). All you have to do is
have the installation disk + kernel in a 2-4 Mb file, then just replace
whatever is in memory with whatever is in the file. Then jump to the start
of it, and Linux is up+running.

>    > What programming language will SEUL be written in (Perl, Tcl/TK, BASH, C,
>    > C++ or a combination of all of them)
>
>    The initial install stuff must be in C to keep the size down.  I would
>    prefer Perl for the rest.
>
> TCL/Tk must be ruled out.  This will not be an X install so best
> choose a more conventional language.  Notice than you can get a lot of
> power in little space if you use shell scripts and one of the light
> weight SH clones like ash.

How about a complete installation program written in C?

--
Thomas Molesworth            (thomas@bass.almac.co.uk)