Re: SEUL: Observatons (& a note to Steering Committee)

BTW, my involvement in this will be somewhat limited until July 15, when
a stupid tech writing report is due.  Yes, I am willing to be on the
Steering Committee, but I'm not sure I can be immensely useful in the
next couple weeks!  :-)

Johan Grape wrote:
> Yes and no.  We can put our loader in the MBR, but I think we should
> use/put a fat partition in and run a more sophisticated OS booter
> from there.  On the alpha, this is MILO, which boots the kernel of
> choice etc. etc.  Not making it fit in the MBR helps a lot on features.
> But then again it appears that LILO is improving a lot.

I was thinking the OS/2 boot manager, but now that you mention it, I
guess BM *does* use a separate partition, not the MBR.  But it only
takes 1 MB on smaller HDs and 3 MB on larger ones.  I think it has its
own partition type.   I don't know if we could do something like that or
not.  I suppose FAT would work.

> > I also mentioned that Zip drivers would be nice, and I hold to that.  I
> > know, most complete newbies won't know what to do with them, but it
> > could be nice for some people.  And how much space could they take?
>
> Since a Zip drive is just another hd/sd device (unless you also want
> the parallel port Zip drive) I don't see a problem.

Considering that the vast majority of Zip drives out there are parallel,
I'd say that's important.  I still haven't gotten mine to work with
Linux, but I haven't tried very much.

> Well - rpm at least allows install with URL's.  hack a wrapper for
> rpm that also allows screenshots etc.

Yeah, as I mentioned a while ago, I think each app on our server(s)
should consist of two files:  *.rpm (or *.deb) for the actual program,
and *.seul for installation instructions and how to integrate with the
SEUL menu system or whatever.  The database would have even more
information and features, such as a keyword/category/date query
capability on all existing SEUL friendly programs, along with system
requirements (so the compuer itself could determine whether or not you
could use it BEFORE downloading) and screenshots.  Maybe I'm weird, but
I think something like that would be SLICK.