SEUL: Task assignments

There has been a varied amount of activity going on, from information
gathering to debate and so forth. Can we discuss the organizational
nature of SEUL from here on out? What will need to be done on an ongoing
basis? Who will make final decisions? How will they be made?

As far as I can tell, the following duties will be necessary on an
ongoing basis (hopelessly incomplete):

1) Coding

	This one doesn't require a lot of explanation.

2) Oversight/decision-making

	Someone has to be responsible for stopping the buck. There will always
be some disagreement over everything. Who will close the margin?

3) Debate/discussion

	This will always be necessary. I don't propose that SEUL be a
committee-decided project, but ideas and opinions should at least be
aired continually.

4) Information gathering

	This includes reviewing products, contacting vendors and authors,
researching technical data (possibly on the behalf of coders), etc.

5) Information dissemination

	This is a critical task, as we've already discussed. It includes
running the web page, maintaining the mailing list, responding to
inquiries, and eventually will involve technical support.

6) Testing

	This will be more important after a preliminary release. It can be
discussed more at a later date.

	I'm sure I've missed as many things as I've mentioned. I would like to
simply present some categories so people can begin to think of
themselves as having a task and belonging to a particular group (or
several). In this way, we (at least, I) can focus our efforts instead of
allowing ourselves to be distracted.

	The inital-adoption phase is almost over. Can we put pour some
organizational concrete? It's going to be essential eventually, and
hopefully if it's done sooner it will accelerate the development
process.

PS I'm not talking about assigning offices or engaging in politics. I'm
using 'organization' in a fundamental fashion to describe coordination
of efforts. I also know that I'm not the first to suggest this; I'm just
lending the weight of my voice to it.

MJP
--
Michael J. Peck