Re: SEUL: Observatons

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

>    What does XDM have to do with it?
>
> If we go for user friendliness then the user must be dropped into X
> directly.

Good point. The only problem is that Linux relies on the console a fair
bit more than other "user-friendly" operating systems. Can we settle for
adding a line to their .login (or .profile or .cshrc or whatever) that
automatically starts X upon login?

> About three hours in my 8 meg 386DX40 with double speed CD reader.
> Only 1 hour with later curses based versions so the CD reader was not
> the culprit.  And I noticed than disk activity was a lot higher than
> with curses installations.  That points to paging activity.  This
> would not be a problem with newer machines.

I've never had the symptoms you describe, but I suspect it has a fair
bit to do with your processor speed and vintage, your video card, your
hard drive, and your system bus speed. RedHat 2.0 X install on a 486DX33
with 8MB RAM, WDC Caviar HD, and an SBPCD 2X CD-ROM took me about an
hour, on average. This was using a Cirrus 5426-based Genoa 8500 video
card.

Of course, a modern machine is dramatically different. My 6x86 P-200+
with an S3 Trio64, 32MB RAM, and 12X CD-ROM drive takes about 7-8
minutes.

> Of course we have to go for an X based install but when you travel by
> ship you will notice than it has boats to save the crew in case the
> main ship sinks.  And XFree is still not unsinkable (unsupported
> cards).

I'm not buying myself a Hercules Stingray 128/3D until it's supported by
Mesa under Linux, as well as XFree86. Are you saying that we'll have a
whole bunch of impulse buyers who didn't research supportability but
will nevertheless blame SEUL-project for failing to support them? I'm
like to thumb my nose at them.

> About SVGA: the trend is making the SVGA server able to work
> with anything supported by XFree but I am not sure work is complete in
> XFree 3.3.

I take your meaning to be that we have to leave, as a last resort, a
curses-based install for those (extremely rare) users whose cards are
not supported at least at SVGA resolutions. This I agree with, but I
don't think it needs a whole lot of attention.

MJP
--
Michael J. Peck
Hewlett-Packard, Convex Division