SEUL: Seul-Edu front page

I wrote up a sample front page for seul-edu.  It's something to start
the discussion with.  It's at:

  http://cvs.seul.org/~ianb/main-seul-edu.html

The visual design isn't what I'm really thinking about here.  I played
with it some, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's particularly good
for seul-edu.  I am thinking more about the organization of the front
page, and of the site as a whole.  This is the basic structure I got
out of it:

Six sections:
  The Seul-Edu Community
  News
  Linux Support
  Linux Documentation
  Applications and Projects
  Links and Resources

I'm not too happy with the way the last two work out.  But anyway...
Similar to a portal (or Yahoo... the original portal?), the categories
have their subcategories also on the front page.  I don't think it's
good to have too much depth to the page, requiring people to navigate
a lot of pages.  So I tried to put a lot on the front page.  I don't
think that makes it seem crowded, though.

I also thought about an the directory structure.  Here's what I was
thinking:

  /
  mailing-lists/
  people/
  IRC/
  news/
  news/seul-edu/
  news/world/
  support/
  support/forum
  docs/
  docs/HOWTO/
  docs/HOWTO/linux/
  docs/HOWTO/apps/
  docs/HOWTO/hardware/
  docs/HOWTO/networking/
  docs/HOWTO/internet/
  docs/case-studies/
  docs/case-studies/server/
  docs/case-studies/client/
  docs/case-studies/x-terminal/
  apps/
  apps/database/
  apps/TODO/
  devel/
  resources/
  resources/lesson-plans/
  resources/editorials/
  resources/propoganda/
  resources/propoganda/comparisons/
  links/

That's a lot of directories, but directories are easy to make and allow
for easy expansion.  They also make for attractive URLs.

Anyway, I hope this makes for a beginning place for the discussion, as
well as having something more concrete to think about.

| Ian Bicking                 |  bickiia@earlham.edu                |
| 4869 N. Talman Ave. Apt. G  |  http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~bickiia |
| Chicago, IL 60625           |                                     |