Re: SEUL: Seul-Edu front page

Ian Bicking wrote:

> I wrote up a sample front page for seul-edu.  It's something to start
> the discussion with.  It's at:
>
>   http://cvs.seul.org/~ianb/main-seul-edu.html
>
> Six sections:
>   The Seul-Edu Community
>   News
>   Linux Support
>   Linux Documentation
>   Applications and Projects
>   Links and Resources

In general I like the concept.  I have a few observations, mostly
minor.  First, the non-minor one.  Under applications and projects and
in your directory structure you don't have any link to or mention of our
current development projects.  I'm sure that's just an oversight.  Now
the minor kvetches.  Under Linux documentation, your HOWTO categories
are separated by alternating slashes and commas.  We should probably
pick one or the other.  I also wonder if we should call these docs
"HOWTOs," as that's a fairly tech-associated term that may be imposing
to non-techie educators.  Maybe something like "Educational Guides," or
something more culturally neutral.  I know that I'd be put off if
something that would be of use to me was titled in heavy academese
jargon.  One last whine.  We all hate spelling flames, but we still have
to be aware of mispellings, especially if we're presenting ourselves to
the educational community.  You mispelled propaganda.  I'm as guilty as
anyone of mispellings (I tend to put in all the letters I think might
apply, and trust the reader to throw out the unnecessary ones), so I'm
sensitive to this.

I like the invitation for visitors to submit content; it's a good way of
drawing them into seul-edu as participants rather than just spectators.
We should also have (under The seul-edu community) those distillations
of email threads that you mentioned at one point.  We could perhaps call
them "The sense of the seul-edu community" on various topics.

One last question that I haven't any answer for at all.  How should we
write seul-edu?  SEUL should clearly be all caps, since it's an acronym
for Simple End User Linux.  I've written "seul-edu" variously as
seul-edu and SEUL-edu, while I've seen others write Seul-Edu and
SEUL-EDU.  I generally tend not to use caps, but I don't know what we
ought to do here.  We could even do something like SEUL/edu, I suppose.
What do you think?