Re: laptop/edu-users

> Date:          Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:59:34 +0300 (EET DST)
> From:          virtanen <hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi>

> If we could make it that way... that in the end of survey each one
> who took it would get an advice, which kind of linux-setup she/he would
> load on her/his machine from seul-website it could be a success? I mean
> that included in this planning of user-types there might be
> planned and ready-made distributions for each main user-types.

Three points on this whole "offer something in return" issue:
1. ease of creation
2. ease of use
3. ease of maintenance

Obviously, creating individual advice replies for each survey taker
goes against all three points. Creating generic advice replies based
on user profiles works in all three points, but has the drawback of
being advice that is A) too far above the comp literacy of that
particular respondant; or B) too far below the comp literacy of that
particular respondant. By necc., it'll be "canned" advice and will
have that flavor. Unappealing, at best.

Not that I have a great solution in mind, but here's food for
thought, if we really intend to do this: how about something short
and sweet, like a newsletter by e-mail? They could be asked at the
end of the survey if they want to subscribe to a "cutting edge
newsletter filled with information to make your computing life
easier/more fun/more productive!" etc.  It could mostly be a
newsletter of links pertaining to interests of that user profile, and
need only come out say, once a month or something. It kind of goes
against points 1 and 3 -- but hey, it's been a long day and  this
is just an idea!

Pax......