Software section ideas

Hi again,
     Short of writing a bunch of surveys about what software features
are needed for a given type of program (which may well be a worthwhile
task, but probably doesn't belong as part of an OS survey :), what sort
of information could we glean from the survey to pass on to the
community to help them make their labours more readily visible?
     Some things have already been done to this end. There's the linux
software map, Independance (www.independance.seul.org) and a few other
places. Here are a few questions to try to tease out how folks find out
about software and what they need to do - something we've been working
on indirectly up 'till now. What other questions do we need?

Where do you normally find out about software?
 - Word of mouth
 - Web sites
 - Store displays
 - Sales advice
 - Television advertising
[Any others? This could help us get at how folks find out about software
in the first place]

Which of the following web sites have you visited in the last three
months?
 - Apple.com
 - Linux software map
 - Microsoft.com
 - None of the above
[Who else should be here?]

What would you say the single most important task you use your computer
for:
 - Word processing
 - Spreadsheets
 - Databases
 - Email
 - Web browsing
 - Programming
 - CAD
[What else?]

     Cheers,

     Pete

--
Pete St. Onge - McGill U.  Limnology - Fun with Ropes & Buckets
pete@seul.org                  http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4322052