Re: [tor-relays] BitTorrent complaint

On 04/11/2013 08:56 PM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
On 11.04.2013 11:56, bartels wrote:
>>  I totally agree. That's why our relays allow every port except 25. But,
>>  in the event that DMCA complaints scare away the ISP (or the exit
>>  operator), they should go for the reduced exit policy (and look for a
>>  better ISP), instead of randomly dropping packets or otherwise filtering
>>  traffic, which is just mean (and probably illegal).
>  Illegal? Why would it be illegal? Or mean?
Mean: Tor specifically has the exit policy to be able to select an exit
that allows that outgoing connection. If an exit relay then drops that
connection silently, Tor (and the user) cannot know it needs to select a
different exit. The connections simply fail. That is totally mean.

Okay, I get your point. By the way, I am not arguing, just trying to understand.
Rejecting via Exit Policy is fine; disturbing the network concept is not necessary.

I don't see the legal issue, though. Maybe it is there, but I don't see how rejecting sites via Exit Policy ;) would trigger any one of (1) through (5).

- bartels