Re: [tor-relays] BitTorrent complaint

On 10.04.13 12:35, Moritz Bartl wrote:
Another thing is filtering on bittorrent. The tor site suggests a filter:
     https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/BlockingBittorrent
Just because it is in the community wiki, it is not something you should
do, or an official Tor recommendation. I would advise heavily against
anything that blocks connections outside of the official ExitPolicy
statements. Clients will become unreliable, and have no way of knowing
what happened to their connection.

The quoted snippet blocks connections to trackers, but not torrenting
itself. One of the most popular sites, ThePirateBay, does not even rely
on trackers any more. Apart from that, blocking trackers will also hurt
legal torrenting.

Oh! I too use the filter as in "BlockingBittorrent".

I did not want to restrict my relay to the "ReducedExitPolicy". Almost all
complaints were Bittorrent related.  So I hoped "BlockingBittorent" would be
the right ting to do.

- should the "BlockingBittorrent" recipe be changed in a way, that it changes
   the exit policy of the relay instead of the firewall?

- How to block torrents from ThePirateBay anyway?

- Is there a way to block any bittorrent traffic?

Regards,

    Jorge-León