Re: [tor-relays] Relays vulnerable to OpenSSL bug: Please upgrade

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 07:00:53PM +0200, Andreas Krey wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 17:01:18 +0000, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> > immediately, especially larger relays. But don't worry too much, you'll
> > get your flags back eventually. :)
>
> But my name only very eventually?

Correct.

Actually, I'd like us to take this opportunity to throw out the Named
and Unnamed flags entirely. I think we've done pretty well at teaching
users to use $fingerprints rather than nicknames in the few cases where
they actually want to specify a particular relay.

And only two-ish directory authorities still track and vote about Named
and Unnamed, so it's not like we're getting an actual robust consensus
these days about what nickname should map to what key.

It would be great to have somebody think through the implications of
what exactly we'll lose by dropping them, so we can make a more informed
decision. Maybe that could be one of you? :)

--Roger