Re: [tor-relays] (FWD) Network is suffering with only two torflows; can you help?

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 06:21:00AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> FYI, below is a start at a short-term plan to address the current network
> weighting issues, now that, as of a few weeks ago, gabelmoo's torflow
> died and Sebastian hasn't been able to get it going properly again.

Things are looking much better:

(1) gabelmoo got its torflow going again and it's ramping up the set of
relays that it votes on.

(2) bastet switched from sbws (the newer one which is our hope for the
future but which also still has important bugs) to torflow.

(3) dizum is now voting using a copy of moria1's weights.

So we now have 3 torflows fully bootstrapped, and 2 torflows partially
bootstrapped, and we still have 2 sbws's running for comparison and
future debugging:
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/#bwauthstatus

If you want to see the visualization of these changes, check out
the "Bandwidth Auth Statistics, Past 7 Days" section on
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/graphs.html
where you can see the gabelmoo and bastet changes, and how those changes
are reflected in the graphs for the other bwauths too.

(In these graphs, the fraction of orange on the graph is how many relays
that bwauth is voting a low weight for. So a graph with a lot of orange
in it indicates that the bwauth is voting lower weights than expected but
that it's being overruled by the other bwauths. In a balanced equilibrium,
the amount of orange should equal the amount of purple.)

So for those relay operators who have had a weirdly low bandwidth weight
lately, it should be starting to recover now. Thanks for hanging in there.

And for those relay operators who have had a weirdly high bandwidth weight
lately, it should also be recovering, i.e. getting lower, as load gets
shifted to other relays. :)

That said: if your relay is still having a weirdly low weight, and that
remains the case over the next few days, please do let us know and we'll
check it out in more detail.

Thanks!
--Roger