Re: [tor-relays] experiences with debian tor 0.2.8.6 package from deb.torproject.org

On August 4, 2016 at 10:23 AM Peter Palfrader <weasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016, tor relay wrote:

On August 3, 2016 at 11:51 PM Green Dream <greendream848@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry, I didn't understand that your daemon didn't restart after the upgrade. I ran through the upgrade on 2 relays, and apt started the service post-upgrade on both.

Since it is reproducible in my case as well I assume you do _not_ have the following constellation:

tor.service is disabled and stopped (I don't use the default instance)

You should not disable tor.service.

tor.service is what controls all tor instances. The default service is
tor@default.service. If you don't want it to start, one option is to
move away /etc/tor/torrc.

It is even more uncomfortable than I thought since logrotate daily reload causes all tor instances to stop if tor.service is disabled, this has certainly not been the case with 0.2.7.6.

Why this hack (disable a service by moving away its config) and not the more clean approach like the one take by the RPM maintainer?