Re: [tor-relays] High speed Tor relay advice

On 8/15/16, Roman Mamedov <rm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To me these seem to be just two loosely related facts, the latter merely
> I don't see any "network calculations" being presented.

Was an fyi for the OP, who may or may not be doing calculations,
regardless of presentation to us.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte: "The megabyte is a multiple of the
> unit byte for digital information. Its recommended unit symbol is MB."
> MB/s is a long-accepted shorthand for Megabyte per second, and yes, Mb/s is
> megabit per second. But please, take your "MiB" lunacy elsewhere.

The current published standards of standards bodies, you
would find that "M" for binary is deprecated in favor of Mi, thus
making MiB no such lunacy. Then there is proper context, where
manufacturers are getting sued, and some unixes and apps are
correcting their stats output, be it in underlying quantities and/or
in naming with bits(b) for network in decimal (for interfacing with
network providers and hardware), and bytes(B) for disk and ram
in binary (for interfacing with read() call of 2^3=8 bits (byte) [1]).
MB is thus bit of deprecated legacy mashup.
What is lunacy is perpetuating legacy ambiguous terminology
and context against standards. Things like mars climate orbiter
happen when you do that.

[1] Though I'd suggest having switches to optional display
disk/ram rates per sec in decimal bits for easier network
throughput checks at those location in system.)

No worries, the next pint of beer is on me, while I bitch about
the "8GB" stick I tested having far less than 8E9 bytes ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60027
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_80000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/