Re: [tor-relays] 7 relays gone because of spammers

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Chris Patti <cpatti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm having a similar situation.  Linode issued a ToS violation because
> my linode on which I run a relay was a source of spam.
>
> Very strange because I had reject *.* (no exit) set in my torrc.

I have operated a non-exit relay on Linode for almost two years now
with no trouble whatsoever.  I'd wonder whether your vhost got hacked
in some fashion, such that it *was* sending spam, but Tor had nothing
to do with it.  If that's what happened, you could probably turn your
relay back on after confirming with their support that you'd found and
fixed the problem.  (Regenerate the relay's identity key, too.)

(I would not attempt to run an exit relay on Linode, and I have made a
point of not running *anything else* (except key-only SSH) on my vhost
that is a relay, to limit attack surface.)

zw