Re: [tor-relays] Boosting throughput with own DNS resolvers

Tim Semeijn schreef op 19/07/15 om 22:47:
Recently I noticed my Tor Exit nodes were showing nameserver errors in
the tor log and I decided to set up two private DNS resolvers
(pdns-recursor). Since I use those I have seen an increase of traffic
throughput on my Exit nodes to approx. 150%. I feel I am finally
utilizing the resources available.

All bigger Tor relay operators will probably already do it this way,
but as I myself have long been using Google DNS or other privacy-aware
DNS resolvers on my nodes I just wanted to throw this out in the open.

How many of you are already using private DNS resolvers for your
nodes? Any feedback/ideas about this?

- --
Tim Semeijn
Babylon Network
pgp 0x5B8A4DDF

All my exits run with pdns-recursor installed, because I don't want to be uploading people's DNS data to Google's search indexer :-)

I applied some tweaks to Tor and pdns :

 * Disable DNS randomization (torrc: ServerDNSRandomizeCase 0)
* Disable pdns packetcache (doesn't help much) and allow caching a LOT of records in the normal cache :

    # recursor.conf
    disable-packetcache
    max-cache-entries=3000000
    max-cache-ttl=86400

* Tor's DNS logic is a bit nasty at times... Adding your DNS server to resolv.conf twice helps :

    # /etc/resolv.conf
    options timeout:3
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 127.0.0.2