Re: [tor-relays] Does TOR need TUN/TAP

On 2013-11-11 22:15, Drake Wilson wrote:
Quoth Sebastian Pfeifer <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 2013-11-11 20:36:02 +0100:
Hello!
A short question I didn't found in the FAQ or with Google: "Does Tor (as
an exit node) need a TUN or TAP device"?
It does not require tun/tap; Tor runs over and exits through TCP
sockets exclusively, last I checked.  However:
Thank you.

servers without TUN/TAP (VRS)
If by this you mean something like OpenVZ or a similar "container"
implementation, such that your node shares kernel memory with other
containers, beware of limitations on the number of sockets you can
have open at once.  Tor keeps a large number of connections open
simultaneously, and if it is not permitted to do this it may not
function properly.
It is a sort of container but not OpenVZ, although they don't say what it is, only that "network resources" are shared so it might be really a bad idea to run TOR on it. I will maybe just take the KVM again for my new node... I maybe have to go with the smaller server then though that has only half of the traffic (500GB/month) and really really low (128MB; well it works now on 128MB) RAM... But as I said I don't really have the money for things like that.

Hope this helps.

    ---> Drake Wilson